Minor Eye Conditions Service (must be registered with a GP in Southampton) - No cost to patient
Do you have a Red or Sore eye? Something is wrong with your eyes but it is not your glasses that are at fault. Not sure who you should see about it?
This new service means that you don't need to book an appointment with your GP to get this checked, you can see an optician locally at a time more suited to you. Click here for a copy of their leaflet.
Click here for Southampton Participating opticians (updated 8/8/17).
Conditions that your optician can help with:
- Loss of vision including transient loss
- Sudden onset of blurred vision
- Ocular pain or discomfort
- Systemic disease affecting the eye
- Differential diagnosis of the red eye
- Foreign body and emergency contact lens removal (not by the fitting practitioner)
- Dry eye/gritty/itchy (not cellulitis)
- Epiphora (watery eye)
- Trichiasis (in growing eyelashes)
- Differential diagnosis of lumps and bumps in the vicinity of the eye
- Possible diplopia
- Retinal lesions
- Patient reported field defects
Conditions excluded from the service include:
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Adult squints
- Possible recent onset diplopia – within 3 months
- Repeat field tests to aid diagnosis following an NHS sight test.